Buying Like it’s 1999!
In the last 13 years there has never been a better opportunity to acquire premium domain names!
Yes, you read that correctly. I’ve been at this an awful long time and I can say that I’ve never seen so many premium generic domains coming to market. There are a lot of factors at work, the economy (or lack there of), the new gTLD program and all the new domain extensions that will soon be competing against .com, the slow down and drop of revenue from PPC income and parking & many other less important factors as well. Owners & Investors are looking for cash flow and they may be taking some money off the table by trying to sell what is perhaps some of the only assets they own – their premium domain names.
However, don’t mistake that for falling values of domain names!
Sure, there might be less liquidity and the reseller market is certainly softer than times past; but, the end user market is hot! And it’s getting hotter!
I will come out and say it that despite all the doom and gloom out there, I have never been so busy and turned so many deals in the lifetime of my company.
Unfortunately, we have a policy of no longer reporting any of our sales – but I can tell you that if we did, it would give the entire domain market a huge shot in the arm! We have completed two 7 figure deals in the last 2 weeks alone and numerous 6 figure deals. And I think we are just getting started… Over the course of the next few years we are going to see more startups than ever before – reminiscent of the “dot com era” of 1998 – 2001, but even bigger with more money being pumped into the startup market due to new (read that as less) regulation in the small cap funding and reporting arena. Money from new sources, small angels, new online funding sites with all types of benefits that encourage first time and small investors to get in on the action.
All of these companies are going to need domain names. Some of them will need lots of domains. We are already receiving more domain acquisition inquiries than ever before in the past. It’s funny that our business has turned from 90% sale side brokerage to more than 50% buy side brokerage (domain acquisitions). I think that is an interesting statistic that I’m going to watch closely over the coming months. These companies want brands! They want one and two word .com domains which they can build a brand around and show it off to their friends, family, clients – but most of all their investors.
Owning a premium domain gives a startup instant credibility and gets them one step closer (a big step) to getting serious fund raising. A coupon startup called GreenBeans.com is going to raise funding a lot faster than one called GetYourCouponsOnline.com! Anyhow, I was just looking over our brokerage list and my eyes were just popping out of my head at the monster domains we are currently selling! I haven’t seen a list like this since 1999! Here are just some of the domain names we are brokering right now: Cut.com, Sample.com, CH.com, EO.com, PX.com, IA.com, VG.com, Adventure.com, Lov.com, Blood.com, 25.com, 23.com, 10.com, 444.com, White.com, Soundtracks.com, Excitement.com, Monument.com, Hemisphere.com, Scanner.com, Expats.com, Authorize.com, Approve.com, Simpatico.com, SeedMoney.com, Orthodox.com, Aerodynamic.com, Anyone.com, Whatever.com, Wrong.com, Run.com, Oregano.com, Rerun.com, HoHoHo.com, Coupons.org & Coupon.org, Faves.com, FP.org, LX.org, Joyride.com, Riviera.com, Banco.com & many more!
I almost NEVER disclose domain names which we acquire, but in the spirit of this post I’m going to just mention a few of the domains which we have bought over the last few weeks just to, as you say, “put my money where my mouth is”. I see a massive wave coming of new buyers, new monetization strategies and platforms and all new demand for premium domain names of all shapes and sizes.
So, with that in mind, we, Media Options, are buying up good domains where we see fit and we encourage other investors to do the same. For disclosure sake, we never interfere with the sale of a domain which we are representing and never interfere with a domain which a client has asked us to acquire. We only buy domains in public auction, private inquiry or when someone reaches out directly to us to offer their domain for sale. Here are just a few of the domain names that Media Options has acquired recently:
- Plume.com – One of the best possible brands I can think of for cloud computing “plume” = “cloud”
- ODR.com – I’ve said before, I love short domains and I see a very bright future for them. ODR can be Online Doctor or Online Dispute Resolution
- Oregano.com – Just a solid one word .com with infinite branding potential
- Noso.com – CVCV.com domains are a home run for new brands and startups – especially if easy to pronounce and repeating vowels
- ttm.com – One of the best 3 letter .com domains I have seen on the market in a long time, couldn’t resist
- **EPH.com ** – Another great 3 letter .com domain with tons of potential meanings
- Woto.com – Again, a great CVCV combination that passes all the tests
- **NinetyDegree.com ** – Great potential brand name
- ToyShare.com – This one is a rock star brand and we might develop it! Share your ferrari, boat, vacation home, etc…
- **AskYourDoctor.org ** – After 33 years of hearing this on every single commercial and ad for over the counter medicine, it must have resonated
- MovingRentals.com – This is an industry which isn’t going anywhere and everyone needs at some point in their life
- MomPop.com – Great brand for any company catering to Mom & Pop type businesses
- MusicGroup.com – Pretty straight forward generic
- WhiteMarlin.com – As an ex-fish monger, I couldn’t resist
- GoodWeed.com – No explanation needed!
- Kale.org – My wife starts our day every morning with a Kale Shake
- LilliePad.com – Great brandable generic
- **JustSayWhen.com ** – One of my favorite quotes “The only time I say no, is when you ask me if I’ve had enough”
- FHF.com – Another solid 3 letter .com – love those short domains, especially with a repeating letter!
Ok, well that is enough show and tell for today, but I wanted to make my point. Don’t sit on the side lines…there is a lot happening in the domain name market right now and I honestly don’t believe there has ever been a better time to buy up these rare and premium domain name assets!
If you need help buying or selecting a domain name for investment or business purposes, please let us know. We are always happy to help and are in a unique position to see almost all the domain name inventory available throughout the market, particularly on the premium level.