Domain Value and Appraisal Services
At MediaOptions, we understand the importance of the right website address as a valuable asset for businesses and individuals. Because of this, we offer domain value and appraisal services to help you determine the true worth of a domain.
Our team of experienced professionals uses a combination of technical analysis, market research, and industry knowledge to provide accurate and comprehensive appraisals. So whether you want to sell your website address, acquire a new one, or learn the value of your existing one, our domain name consulting experts can help.
How Much Is My Domain Worth?
Establishing the value of a website address is one of the most challenging aspects of the digital asset aftermarket. A one-letter difference could increase a name’s value 20 times or make it worthless.
Although many automated tools exist, they only consider the limited available data. As a result, they often miss the intangible trends and other information that could increase or decrease a name’s value.
What Qualities Make a Domain Name Valuable?
There are several things you need to consider when appraising a website address. Factors that can affect the value include the following:
- Top-level domain (TLD): The TLD of a web address, such as .com or .net, can greatly affect its value. Certain TLDs are more widely recognized and used than others, increasing marketability. According to Statista, the most popular URL endings are .com, .org, .ru, and .net.
- Age: Tenure can affect value, as older websites may be seen as more established and trustworthy by search engines and users alike.
- Keywords: Using relevant keywords in a web address can make it more valuable, as this can help it rank higher in search engine results pages for those keywords.
- Length: Shorter names are considered more valuable due to their ease of use and memorability. The shortest names sell for considerable amounts. For example, a two-letter .com sold for over $3.7 million in 2016.
- Commercial or branding potential: A catchy or unique name with strong branding potential can also be valuable.
- Existing website and traffic: If a website has existing traffic, its address can be worth more due to the potential for monetization and immediate use.
- Use history: Past content and traffic sources, including any past penalties or negative associations, can affect the value and reputation of a web address.
- Market demand: The demand for certain types of names, such as those related to popular industries or trends, can also impact a URL’s value.
- Search history: Search engine history can affect a website’s value and potential for ranking in search engine results.
- Referring websites: The number and quality of referring URLs, or backlinks, can impact the value and reputation of a web address.
- Index status: Whether a website with that address is currently indexed or has been de-indexed by search engines can affect its value and potential for ranking.
How to Increase Your Domain Name Value
Here are some tips for increasing your current website’s worth:
- Publish fresh, original content frequently to increase your domain authority (DA) score. The more relevant and quality content you publish, the higher your DA score.
- Use proper heading elements to structure your content, starting with <h1> and continuing with <h2> and so on. Avoid using multiple <h1> elements on one page, and never use heading elements to resize text that isn’t part of a heading.
- Keep your content concise and avoid repetition. Cut out any unnecessary words or phrases to convey your message more effectively.
What Is a Domain Appraisal?
A “domain appraisal” refers to the process of evaluating the monetary value of a website address. It considers the name’s history, current use, market demand, memorability, and commercial potential.
This process is important for anyone involved in a digital asset transaction, whether buying or selling.
What Is the Purpose of an Appraisal?
There are several purposes of an appraisal. It helps to:
- Determine the financial value of a website name.
- Evaluate the name’s history, current use, and commercial potential.
- Calculate value during the buying or selling process.
How Our Domain Name Valuation Works
MediaOptions is a domain broker service with a unique approach to name valuation. We use a formula that considers over 20 factors to determine the raw equity inherent in a website address.
Our domain value checker is the industry standard in the digital asset aftermarket. This is because, unlike automated appraisal tools, our system does not rely on a fixed algorithm or a one-size-fits-all domain price estimator.
Instead, we manually evaluate each name based on a wide range of factors to ensure a more accurate estimate. It’s important to note that this is not an exact science. The actual value of a digital asset can vary by plus or minus 30% of the estimated value.
Our CEO, Andrew Rosener, pioneered the industry standard valuation formula for determining a website name’s cost if acquired from an aftermarket name seller. This formula looks at the raw equity inherent in a name based on the search results, CPC, length, age, and about 20 other factors.
Buying an Expensive Domain
When purchasing a premium domain name, it’s crucial to determine its actual worth. You can use various domain calculator tools to get a rough idea of the name’s value. However, getting a more comprehensive domain price estimate is best.
A formal domain price check from our firm is beneficial for anyone buying or selling a website name. This important step helps to determine the name’s value based on its history, current use, and commercial potential.
MediaOptions Offers a Formal Appraisal
As the number one broker in the industry, MediaOptions offers an official appraisal that is widely recognized. Our formal appraisal process is accepted for use in U.S. Federal Court, civil court, IRS audits, divorce cases, bankruptcy cases, and other legal matters.